This report aims to clarify the situation and provides recommendations and unambiguous guidelines on the management of patients with severe anorexia nervosa in a number of settings, in order to help reduce the number of avoidable deaths of patients with severe anorexia nervosa. It provides:
- Advice on physical assessment.
- Advice to the primary care team and criteria for admission to both medical units and specialist eating disorder units as well as non-specialist psychiatric units, and criteria for transfer between those services.
- Advice on the required members of the in-patient medical team.
- Medical, nutritional and psychiatric management of patients with severe anorexia nervosa in medical units, including the appropriate use of mental health legislation.
- Advice for commissioners on required services for this group of very ill patients.
This is a joint report from the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the Royal College of Physicians (London) and the Royal College of Pathologists.
Click here to download the full report.