World Health Organization, December 2017
World Health Organization Horizon Scan of good practice on workforce planning in in the UK that finds:
- Investigation of skills mix and future demand for the whole system can reveal new ways of thinking and planning.
- Small annual changes in demand can add up to larger changes over time requiring major shifts in the skills and competencies of the health workforce.
- It is important to understand the context of the system to be investigated, ensuring that the appropriate scope, level of enquiry and methods are selected.
- It pays off to experiment with a range of techniques and approaches to accommodate variation in systems.
- Ensure that stakeholders are involved at every stage of the workforce review, including modelling and validation of variables.
The Centre for Workforce Intelligence, mapped out necessary skills and competencies for the health and care workforce, investigated roles and responsibilities for different health and care workers, and outlined 6 scenarios for change in future demand.
Click here to view the briefing.