All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity, May 2018
Report from the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity which calls for:
- Development of an obesity strategy for children and adults involving all stakeholders to strengthen existing services and replicate best practice across the country.
- Obesity/weight management training should be introduced into medical school syllabuses to ensure GPs and other healthcare practitioners feel able and comfortable to raise and discuss a person’s weight, without any stigma or discrimination.
- 9pm watershed on advertising of food and drinks high in fat, sugar and salt to protect children during family viewing time.
- Government should lead or support efforts by the clinical community to investigate whether obesity should be classified as a disease in the UK, and what this would mean for the NHS and other services.
- Calls on Government to commission or support the development of a thorough, peer-reviewed cost benefit analysis of earlier intervention and treatment of patients with obesity.
Click here to view the full report.